Asian Language Resources
In 2020, a young intern, Jonathan Huynhngo, worked with the Autism Society Inland Empire on a project to identify areas of disparity for the Asian Developmental Disability community. Some of the areas identified were:
- 23% of Asian families had no Purchase of Services (meaning they were not receiving any Regional Center services) compared to 21% of white families.
- Families who spoke Vietnamese, Cantonese, and Cambodian were more likely not to utilize Regional Center services. This could mean that these families had a harder time accessing these resources and encountered potential barriers that prevented them from purchasing these resources.
There is a need for:
- Culturally relevant information in target Asian languages including what is the Regional Center, how to qualify for services, and services available to Regional Center clients.
- Easy to use data dashboard where all disparity information specific to the Asian American community is located regarding special education and regional center services
- Helpful resources to the Asian community including resources who are culturally relevant and speak Asian languages