As the parent, YOU are the “Holder of Educational Rights” for your child even if your child is in foster care or living with a relative, unless the court makes a legal determination, OR until the child turns 18 years of age – no matter how severe the student’s disability is.  When a student reaches the age of 18, all educational decision-making authority transfers from the parent to the student, unless the student has been determined incompetent under California law.

There are three options:

  1.  Let the student self-advcoate
  2. Complete the conservatorship process
  3. Have the student sign an Assignment of Educational Rights

Thank you to Families for Early Autism Treatment (FEAT) for compiling this information.

For more information on Transition Rights visit Disability Rights Special Ed Rights and Responsibilities page –

Assignment Form

The Autism Society Inland Empire Autism (ASIE) maintains these Resource Listings as a service to families as a reference tool. Every effort is made to ensure listings are up-to-date. ASIE does not endorse or claim to have personal knowledge of the abilities of those listed. The resources listed are not intended as a recommendation, referral, or endorsement of any resource or as a tool for verifying the credentials, qualifications, or abilities of any organization, product or professional. Users are urged to use independent judgment and request references when considering any resource associated with diagnosis or treatment of autism, or the provision of services related to autism.